blog template

Monday, August 23, 2010

New Humble Home

I Think this is where he lives. Somewhere in Africa.... He needs to tell me about the pics, not just send them.
Cute kids who love their picture taken.


Some of the wildlife there.


August 23, 2010

Wow,
My mission is going to be harder than I thought. The first couple days here have been pretty crazy, but have gone by relatively fast. When we arrived in Uganda we went to the mission home and it was so nice! almost like at home, but all the doors and windows had bars and a big pad-a-lock haha thats how every flat is here. We had a little meeting that night then went to bed. Oh and we stopped and had some delicious pizza at this pizza place before going to the mission home. We woke up that morning and met together with some new missionaries in the area and received some training and such. They fed us breakfast and then the AP's took us to our flat. When we got to it, my first reaction was "you have got to be kidding me". You will see in the pictures I send haha it truly is a humble abode. I unpacked some stuff then we headed out and started teaching.It was a pretty crazy day! We ran into this drunk guy and he started giving us some problems so we told him to go away basically haha we then were walking and there are bulls all over in the street and such, and this guy scared one of then and it started to charge us! I had to jump over this ditch! it was really funny! Elder Rennie said that has never happened to him before on mission haha So my comp's name is Elder Rennie and he is awesome! He has only been out six weeks, but is training me and is a district leader! He is about 6 foot 5 inches and played college football! So I feel pretty safe here :) He is a awesome trainer and a great friend. we also have another missionary with us because he has had some visa problems. He was suppose to go to Ethiopia on Thursday but his visa is all messed up or something. He is going there to be a zone leader so he is really experienced and we learn from him everyday. We then went to Sister Emily's house and I committed her to baptism, on my first day! They had been teaching her and saved the invitation for me! I was so nervous haha but she is getting baptized this Sunday! Along with two other people! there is so much work to do here! There are only 82 missionaries in the mission and we need so much more! I really wish that more missionaries were out here! There are not even alot of areas open! They condensed our area with another area because there are so many missionaries leaving! We need more! There are 13 leaving this next transfer and only 11 coming in! There are a total of 30 missionaries leaving before the end of the year, most of them zone leaders and both of the assistants are leaving too. Things are going to be crazy busy here for a long time! I then met some of the investigators that they have been teaching and then since it was pretty late we went back to the apartment and planned and got ready for the next day. So a couple really cool things happened on Friday, one of then was we had baptismal interviews which went great and we had a really good experience with a sister we contacted. The sisters name was Justine, and she pulled us over off the road and said she wants to be baptized and that she knew she had to repent. Wow. I was so shocked! I did not really know what to say, so I left her with a Book of Mormon and asked her to ready, we are going back to see her tomorrow :) I think she will be my first real baptism :) I don't count the three we are having this week because they were all taught by Elder Rennie haha. I also had my first dish of Uganda food and its.... interesting. The rice is ok, but the Matoke stuff is nasty. elder Rennie said i would get use to it haha The beans are also really good. We usually pick up a little snack for dinner o the way home because the electricity goes out alot and our frig does not stay super cold. But there is something here i LOVE!! They are called Kasava Chips! They are something like potatoes, but so much better! they cut them in big slices then fry them, kind of like french fries, except Kasava chips are way better! ok so thats pretty much how its going here. We contact about 30 people a day in addition to our lessons we teach, I learned to teach more we first have to contact! I don't know how much you want to know about investigators, but we have 9 progressing investigators and many more with alot of potential! Ill let you know about any special ones. But the people here are absolutely amazing. They will talk to us even if they don't want to! They are so nice and the ward members are so strong! I am so blessed to be around these people! I am really coming out of my bubble... if i ever had one haha Well Sunday was awesome! I ate some yogurt in the morning, and it must have been bad or something, because about an hour later i threw it all up haha It was not fun at all. Im taking my vitamin pills and malaria pills, but i guess my body just needs to get use to the food here. We dont really eat alot, and Elder Rennie has lost like 50 pounds! I'm going to lose alot of weight! We eat enough to survive so dont worry mom! Church is awesome, there were 86 people there, which is a pretty good turn out i guess haha We had 17 investigators there as well! it was a good Sunday :) After church we went home to eat and it started pouring rain outside! It rained a ton for about an hour and a half! So we got a nice Sunday nap in :P most days we would be out teaching and have to go into someones house to take shelter, we just happened to be home that day haha. After the rain we went out and taught some lessons and contacted this amazing Brother named Edmund. He was eating up everything we were telling him, I'm excited to see him again this week! anyways, today is P day and i love writing! We went on a hike this morning and took some sweet pics, I'm going to try and send some, but the inter net stinks here haha.
Ok so here is some important information!! Ready!! I can email whoever!! I am so excited! I also have two hours to email! 2 HOURS!! They mail system here is the worst and we don't really have an address, so we can just email! I would only get letters like every three months if all i did was mail! So dont bother doing dear elder or anything, i wont get those things for months. And if you want to send packages, send them like 2-3 months in advance, because it will take forever to get here. And make sure you declare everything inside to be below 50 dollars! or it will go through customs and i might never get it! A missionary here got a new camera from home and they just stuffed it in a little box and declared it as 25 dollars. It is not completely honest, but either is people taking your stuff. So ill let you know what i might need sent to me :) well thats about everything i can think of, I have only been here four days, so im sure lots more will happen to me! Im so excited to be here, but it is hard, im sweating all the time and there is no air conditioning, and its humid :( i could see my breath this morning on the hike but i was sweating like crazy! ah! no me gusta!
Oh and all the little kids here call us Musungu, which means "Englishman" haha they all like to touch our skin too because we are white, they think it might rub off or something haha Oh and mom, you need to send me recipes! Im sick of plain rice and beans! we have limited supplies though, and no oven, so ya.... haha wish me luck! I heard from the gills and Sister Corbitt, it was good, but tell everyone to just email a little something! Its good to hear encouraging words once a week! haha I Love you all and miss you :) more now than any other time in my life :)

Love
Elder Kendall

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for letting us read this and be a part of all of this.... We can spend FHE going over all the missionary letters these days! Love it!

    ReplyDelete